A day at the ocean

A day at the ocean

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Science Projects and OCD...

Little Bug had to do a Science Project on a constellation and tell all about it.  We had to do research to find the answers to the questions and learn where the stars are located.  So I decided to break it into steps and let her play between the steps.  We have a difficult time with sitting still.

Google.  So I put Little Bug in front of the computer and she was the "Bus Driver" (good thing I took my meds).  We found websites on the constellation she pick and I taught her to take notes. She copied down the things she thought were important word for word.  (We have some work on paraphrasing but she is only in second grade so I let it slide).

Play Break.

Then she sat down and started typing her report.  However, she was coping her notes word for word. So we had to have a little talk about plagiarism.  I told her about how if you copy something someone else wrote it is against the law and considered stealing. "Mom, but if I like the color red and I tell my friend 'My favorite color is red.' and then you tell your friend 'My favorite color is red.' that is not wrong." So I then had to go into research and why it was wrong when you are doing research.

Well Needed Play Break

Back to work.  She started to copy her notes word for word again.  "Little Bug, you can't do that.  It is stealing and you could go to jail."

"Mom, I can't go to jail.  I am too young." Okay then.  She started typing and the words were underlined with red squiggle lines.  Little Bug could not handle it.  We had to correct things as we went along.  NO SQUIGGLES. Red or green.

Play Break

We finally got through it and it turned out great!  I did not even do anything but help with the title.  I let go.  It was hard, but I let go. It was not perfect, but it was Little Bug's and she was happy with it so I am too. Mrs. W gave her a 99%.  She put "none" instead of "known".  I guess I should have helped with proofreading.  Okay, let's be honest, like I would have caught any misspellings or wrong word usage.  That is why we have Dad and Nana.



'Til the next adventure...

3 comments:

  1. A girl after my own heart! I hate the squiggles too! I almost failed all of my timed typing tests in school because I would HAVE to stop and correct the mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks so grown up with her new hair cut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your report looked very impressive, I hope you can save it so I can see it when I come to visit. Love you!

    ReplyDelete